✉ firstname.lastname@example.org ✆ +1 (415) 503-8944 🔗 http://drugastefania.com/
- Research on AI literacy for families.
- Extensive experience in building programming platforms for children.
- Teaching classes about creative learning and prototyping with AI.
- Jacobs Foundation Grant for AI Literacy project, 2020
- Weizenbaum Research Fellow in Criticality of AI-based Systems Lab in Berlin, 2019
- Human in Residence Fellow, Google & NYU ITP, 2019.
- LEGO Papert Fellow, MIT MediaLab, 2018
- Finalist of Ideas for Europe competition, EU, 2017
- Women to Watch in Science, Women at the frontier, 2016
- Cognimates : Live at cognimates.me
- AI education platform for children to train their own machine learning models.
- Users can also code smart games using their custom models.
- AI Literacy Playground : Live at http://aiplayground.me/
- Playground for AI explainability allowing users to classify custom datasets.
- Users may also identify anchors in images to support algorithms interpretability.
- TileCode : Live at https://microsoft.github.io/tilecode/
- TileCode is an app for designing, coding, and playing video games directly on low-cost arcade gaming handhelds.
- Our starting point are retro video games to be created via a set of visual rules.
|Ph.D Information School||Informatics||University of Washington||2023||3.9/4|
|Master of Science||Media Arts and Science||Massachusetts Institute of Technology||2018||5/5|
|Master of Science||Instructional Design,||Technical University of Lisbon, Poitiers University, UNED Madrid||2008||5/5|
|Bachelor of Communication||Public Relations & Communication||Polytechnic University of Timisoara||2005||5/5|
Graduate Courses Taken
- Machine Learning Fairness
- Data Management and Data Science
- Prototyping Interactive Devices with AI
- How to make almost anything
- Design Internet Research
- Culture Learning and Development
- Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning
- Creative AI Track Lead, MIT MediaLab Berlin, Berlin, Germany (Jun. 2018 – Jul. 2018)
- Designed and ran the machine learning for creative AI track, selected 10 participants from 300 applications.
- Organized a series of lectures, talks, and sitevisits to partner organizations.
- Mentored students on their projects, documented and published final results.
- Co-founder, HacKIDemia, Global (Jan. 2012 – Nov. 2020)
- Overseeing HacKIDemia, a global organization for children STEM education.
- We are designing a 21st century curriculum by using latest technologies and scientific inventions.
- We trained local teams i n 40 countries with 600 mentors and 10.000 children involved to date.
- Computer Science Lead Teacher, Girls Who Code, U.S.A (Jun. 2016 – Sep. 2016)
- Taught computer science to a group of 30 senior highschool students for 3 months as part of the Girls Who Code Program
- Managed two teaching assistants and creatived curriculum for the hardware and robotics modules.
- R&D Specialist, Samsung research, U.S.A (Jan. 2016 – Jun. 2016)
- Proposed new IoT communication protocols for low powered WiFi sensors.
- Implemented a series of prototypes for detecting water leaks at scale by measuring pipes vibration.
- This lead to a commercial product (Lotik) which is still being developed by Samsung.
- Director, Maker Camp, China, Germany (Jan. 2014 – Jan. 2016)
- Initiated the first maker camp in Berlin and Shenzhen with 15 global participants.
- We used only upcycled materials and tools to build the first makerspace in a shipping container in Europe and China.
- Each camp ran for one month, had 10 tracks, 20 mentors.oposed new IoT communication protocols for low powered WiFi sensors.
- Founder, Afrimakers, Africa (Jan. 2014 – Jan. 2016)
- Created Afrimakers in partnership with 8 African techhubs in Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Zambia, Botswana, Ghana, Nigeria.
- This initiative enables local makers to use digital fabrication for solving local challenges like access to clean water, energy, education.
- Education Advisor, Singularity University, U.S.A (Apr. 2012 – Sept. 2012)
- Curated the education track for 80 students from 36 countries and conducted a series of prototyping workshops.
- Initiated coaching sessions and sitevisits to pioneering edtech organizations like Khan Academy, Udacity, Gooru.
- Volunteer Teacher, Catholic University of Peru, Cambodia (Jan. 2012 – Apr. 2012)
- As part of a voluntary mission I was teaching 100 children how to use computers and new technologies.
- Within 2 months I have acquired 3000 € in donations and created a computer lab for the children.
- You can find out more here: teachingcambodia.blogspot.com.
- SQE Associate, Google, Ireland (Sept. 2010 – Jun. 2011)
- Helped defend Google’s index against webspam and collected data for search algorithm design.
- Worked with the internal education team to improve the new hires training.
- ToT Trainer, Catholic University of Peru, Peru (Jan. 2008 – Apr. 2008)
- Instructed 40 Peruvian primary school teachers in the use of information and communication technology.
- Conducted a final evaluation which showed that 80% of the teachers were using the new tools.
- Summer Intern, Microsoft Research (June 2020 – Sep. 2020)
- Conducted an longitudinal study with 17 families for 5 weeks evaluating a new programming platform for kids.
- Analyzed and communicated findings in company wide presentations and public webinars
- Research Associate, CRI (Mar. 2011 – Jan. 2012)
- Participated as a research associate in a project that applied machine learning algorithms for interdisciplinary online educational programs.
- The proposal was validated by an international committee of researchers and involved collaborating with an international team of data scientists
- ICT Researcher, Open University UNIT (Jan 2009 – May. 200)
- Conducted a study for the French Ministry of Education on the use of digital resources in 20 universities and engineering schools.
- The study was published by UNIT and is now an industry standard guide in the participating universities.
- Designing Smart Toys at RISD
- Hacking Smart Toys at ITP NYU
- INFO 350 Information Ethics and Policy
- INFO 330 Research Methods
- Chair for IDC 2021 Conference
- Reviewer for CHI, IDC, CSCW, Fablearn conferences from 2018-Present
- Volunteer with iSchool Diversity Initiative supporting BIPOC graduate applicants
- Member of the UW Computer Science Care Committee
- Education Board member for Unesco MGIEP
- AI Education Committee member for Technovation, organisation for international AI Education for families
- Board member for AIDA, organisation using AI for social development
- Webinar on development of new coding platforms for children with Microsoft Research(2020)
- Panel on future of AI education with Unesco(2020)
- Speaker at Future of childhood Summit with Google and Sesame Workshop (2020)
- Speaker at Applied Machine Learning Days, EPFL (2020)
- Keynote at Digital Summit for Teachers organized by Korber Foundation (2019)
- Speaker at Teachers Colledge AI Education Conference(2019)
- Keynote at Pydata Conference(2019)
- Keynote at Libre Learn Lab Conference(2018)
- Guest Cognimates tutorial on the Coding Train (2018)
- UW researchers receive grant to explore childhood AI literacy for UW Daily (2020)
- How is AI upgrading playtime? for Canvas8 (2020)
- The Hard Fun of Designing Alternatives to Smart Toys for Processing Foundation (2019)
- Where does AI fit in the classroom? for Teachers College Newsroom (2019)
- Will AI really transform education? for Hechinger Report (2019)
- How children understand artificial intelligence for Teller Report (2019)
- Artificial intelligence has to be demystified for Spiegel (2019)
- Spotlight: Let’s ask more of AI for Mozilla’s Internet Report(2019)
- Should Children Form Emotional Bonds With Robots?, The Atlantic (2017)
- Growing Up with Alexa MIT Technology Review (2017)
- Understanding Generation Alpha for Wired (2017)
- Humanitarian AI: AI literacy for families
- Prof Talks: AI Education & Smart Toy Design(2020)
- Ed Tech: Digging into Digital Skills Development(2019)
- Meaningful Making: What is AI(2019)
- Airtalk: They’re alive! Are smart toys changing how children interact with humans?(2017)
- CBC Radio: Would you let your kids play with AI robots?(2017)
Interaction Design for children
- Instructional Design:
- Programming Languages:
- Web Frameworks: